Monday, April 19, 2010

For Pomeranians All the World's a Stage


My life is so hard sometimes, so please forgive me whilst I indulge myself in a little Pomeranian puppy-pity fest (they don't call it the world's tiniest violin for nothing, just wish I had the opposable thumbs to use it). Just like any A-list pet, I can't seem to go anywhere without being stopped for a stroke, cooed over incessantly by women young and old, it's utterly exhausting (ok, you know I love it). But sometimes, my cuteness gets me into trouble.  It's my own fault, really, for strutting instead of walking, giving the people a little Pommy one-two-step as a I tikki tikki my way around Londontown and I know that tail of mine is simply irresistible, beleaguering a bit of a squeeze as it waves haughtily behind me in the air. 

Human: amused. Canine: not so much
But Thursday night, when I accompanied Mommy to hear Vivienne Westwood speak at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, already exhausted after a vigorous afternoon of inspecting Pomeranian-resembling accessories at Chanel--i.e Yeti boots which could have been a distant cousin of mine, my cuteness was the cause of trouble for me once again. Before the Dame's big entrance, comedian and live comedy chat show host, Scott Capurro, spotted me amongst the crowd and, to my horror, pulled me up on stage (I wasn't even wearing a doggy outfit...just my blandest flesh-toned Puppia!!). Once over the initial shock of being singled out without proper styling, I couldn't help but start to enjoy myself as my host-slash-holder cracked a few good humored jokes at my expense ("this is the gayest I've ever been!").

Capurro worships Jane Turner. Why didn't I get this same reverential treatment???
I was then returned to Mommy and the infidel comedian went back to his routine as planned, interviewing Kath & Kim's Jane Turner, followed by a surprisingly rousing musical performance from a band called ToyToy.

Then came Vivienne at last. Be sure to check out Mommy's post on the Clothes Whisperer for the full story. I won't repeat her here but I will say this. After a bit of a diatribe on fame and being famous, Viv explained that for the most part, when people approach her on the street, she obliges. Only once did she ignore a fan. From inside the protected confines of Mommy's white slouchy leather tote, I listened intently to her wise words.


The ToyToys take the stage
"I dont want to compare myself to Marilyn Monroe," she said. "She used to do this thing where she could walk down the street or she could become Marilyn. I never want to be Marilyn. But sometimes people do come up to you and that's that." Well I DO want to compare myself to Marilyn (what, we're both bombshell blonds?!). So if Marilyn and Viv can grace the people without complaint, do their gracious duty, I can suck up my little puppy gripings and give the people what they want! Where's Scotty, I'm ready for my encore...

My adoring fans...and Uncle Bert
blog comments powered by Disqus